Getting ready to deploy was quite a challenge. This was my first deployment, so everything was new to me. I had to get everything squared away at work, complete a bunch of online courses for the Army, and decide what to pack. Of course, this meant a bunch of last-minute shopping. I needed some more clothes, a good digital camera, and a bunch of toiletries. Actually spent a fair amount of money, but it was stuff that I needed.
Most importantly, I tried to spend a little extra time with my family and friends. The staff at work had a nice going-away party for me (the cake was awesome). My parents came to visit the weekend before I left. The congregation at church called my family forward to pray for us, and my homegroup friends hosted an early "Thanksgiving Dinner". I was even asked by one of the local news stations for an interview, which was a bit more than I deserved but was a nice gesture. It can be seen at http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/21221431/index.html. Finally, I had breakfast with a dear friend, Greg Fichtl, who offered words of encouragement and sent me away with some reading material (I'm still working on the book, Greg). The week leading up to the deployment passed quickly, but somehow I got it all done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment